Sep 28, 2008

Those Who Were There


The Inkeeper's Wife
"Room for the Lord"
There in the sky is a star that is brighter than all the rest.
Oh how I wish that we didn’t say no to that man’s request
I thought we were full and had no room for them to spare.
We sent them away in thoughtless haste with such despair.

I wish that I made room for the Lord the night that He was born.
I did not know that she bore the son, that came to save the world.

We went to the stable to fin the babe and praise his name.
When we arrived the family had left we’d come too late.
It was no longer safe for the song of God to stay.
I wanted to tell them to come back with us, we’ll keep them safe.

I wish that I made room for the Lord the night that He was born.
I did not know that she bore the son, that came to save the world.

Everyone talks of a man who heals the sick and lame
His message of love and hope for sinners is all the same.
Can it be true even I receive forgiveness too.
His power so great to make me whole...my life renewed!

I wish that I made room for the Lord the night that He was born.
Now I know, that he is my Lord , who came to save the world.

The title of the music program I am writing for the Festival of Nativities is called:
The Nativity
....those who were there.

Since there were so few who were actually present for the Savior's birth, in order to have a program with more than four songs, I have had to stretch the imagination a bit and assume that perhaps there actually was a drummer boy, an inkeeper's wife, a group of children who tended the animals and surely more than one angel! I am embracing wholeheartedly the expression c r e a t i v e l i c e n s e.

A Little Lesson:
My patriarchal blessing refers to the birth of the Savior and how it is was God's infinite wisdom and design that had His only begotten son come to the earth in such a lowly manner. If it were up to man there would have been no kingdom big enough, castle ornate enough, palace grandeur enough or mansion extravagant enough to house the son of God. But that was not the way it was to be. Jesus Christ's birth, life and death all summarize a perfect life free from worldly possession and stature. He had no where but straw and hay to lay his head, yet he atoned for the sins of the world. He was unjustly accused, abandoned by his most trusted, and forsaken yet lived a perfect example of perfect love and devotion to all mankind. Above all other subjects, I find composing songs about the Savior's birth most enjoyable and rewarding.

7 comments:

  1. Shelley I love the title for the musical. This song is so poetic and has such a lovely musical arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful piece. It is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to do everything I can to be there to see this. To be so spiritually fed to begin the Christmas season is what everyone needs. Thank you again for sharing your beautiful talent with us all. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelley I love this! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful!! You are so very talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I need a little bit of upliftment (is that a word?) or inspiration, I come and listen to your songs. Thank-you for sharing your gift of music with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When President Monson tonight for the Christmas devotional talked of no room in the inn I was immediately reminded of your beautiful song. It certainly has legs. Well done.

    ReplyDelete