Nov 12, 2008

Hang on Tight


(This is a song I wrote for Emily and her primary class to sing in the Festival of Nativities)

We are losing another incredible family to the 'moving away epidemic' that seems to have plagued our lives for the past three months! The Milads are moving to Port Coquitlam and my kids are shell shocked by the news. Anthony and Jordan have been best friends since they were about one and a half. Emily, Ariyana and Alexa have been inseparable since they realized if they ask hard enough we will let them come over to each others houses to enjoy the sabbath day together. Clara and Austen have a love/dislike thing going, but that's their age and it's pretty adorable to watch. Benjamin and Ashlyn didn't even get a chance! This is a good move for my buddy Lisa, who at at the moment commutes an hour every day to take her six children off to the school that she owns and runs. When I heard however, it felt like we had all just lost our best friends. They have been down the road having kids that match up with mine year after year for what seems like forever. Sam and Craig even share the same birthday!

A Little Lesson:
We told our kids the sad news of the Milad's move when we were in the RV heading down to Disneyland. Jordan thought we must be joking as the news just didn't seem like something he could believe or even handle. I explained to them how we will have to hang on tight to our friendships with them. A busy life is a fierce competitor to long distant friendships and so they will have to be vigilant about connecting with their buddies. My knuckles are white with how many friends I am trying to hang on to as they all seem to be moving away. I am once again, grateful for technology that makes communicating so possible and the Plan of Salvation that makes friendships so eternal.


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful song. Can't wait to hear the rest of your songs at the festival of nativities. Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed reading your blog yesterday so I am only now hearing this song for the first time and it is beautiful. As I snuck away to my room to check the blog as soon as the music started to play all the children came running and asked where that beautiful music was coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Such sweeet voices!
    But I am in tears for another loss. Thank goodness you have a stonge and supportive family close by. I know you will miss the Malads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...come to tsawwassen, said the little voice in your head.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete