Nov 16, 2008

Cheat Sheet


If you asked anyone in this Canadian country of ours what some of the things that Obama and McCain stood for, a majority of us would be able to come up with a pretty decent list. However, if you asked those same people who David Cadman, Kim Capri, Ian Robertson or Marty Zlatnik were, they would most likely have no clue. And so is goes with municiple elections. I am grateful for a son who happened to be studying the election in social studies and took a keen interest in who was running and what their platforms were. The conversation went something like this...

"Mom Dad today is the municiple election, are you guys going to vote?"
"Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, sure we could do that."
"Can I come with you guys?"
"Sure"
Jordan noticing the bewildered look on his parents face continues,
"Do you want me to sit down with you guys and fill you in on who to vote for?"
"Would you mind?"
"No problem."

Not only did our boy explain to us his reasons for aligning himself with the various candidates he decided his parents needed a cheat sheet to take into the voting booth, as he didn't trust that we would remember the names of the people he was filling us in on.

A Little Lesson:
He didn't align himself with a party, but rather looked carefully at each track record and platform of the candidates. He understood that it matters what people do as well as what they say. If half of the people in our city took the time that it takes to understand who will in fact be making the decisions in our community on our behalf, we would all be in a better place. Thank you my boy for your fine example of community spirit!

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty impressive! I remember a few elections ago, I had the little big booklet in the voting booth with me so I could read their bios and platforms right before I voted for them. One of the most memorable things about that day? The man who was in jail and and asking that you vote for him. Nice. Only in Vancouver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mom, well, I think you could remember it if you recited it ALOT of times....
    Anyways, two things. (I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A PEST, BUT...)
    It's Marty Zl'o'tnik, not Zl'a'nik. Also, it's called a municipal election. Don't mean to offend you, and hopefully you will read this and edit it.
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the mouths of babes... Jordan you are one fine "dude" I wish I could have had a copy of your cheat sheet before I went to vote....Love Grandma Matkin

    ReplyDelete