Sep 30, 2008

Not Quite


Last week Emily and her buddy did a crystal making science project together for fun. The box was so inviting and almost magical. It screams...yes, you can make one of THESE! Not quite. I promise we followed the instructions to a tee. Note, we even wore the safety goggles. There were only about 3 steps...it was practically full proof. We waited all week for the liquid to evaporate. Finally I couldn't say anymore....just wait a little longer, I'm sure it will start to look like the box. Last night I tried to gently explain false advertising to the girls without crushing their belief in the world as a good place.



A Little Lesson:
I remember about six years ago, standing in the middle of the garage sale, holding the box, and thinking "wow we can make one of these!" False advertising may be false, but it works!!!

4 comments:

  1. I have had many conversations with the boys about what you see is not always what you get, especially when it comes to TV ads. Austen wanted something so bad and was even willing to spend his own money to get it, but I could not let him waste his hard earned money on something I knew was not what he expected it to be. Some life lessons are not very fun to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garage Sale? We gave that to your kids for Christmas. With the ant farm. Remember? Which you kindly told me you didn't need a farm as you already had enough ants living in the house without it. Sorry! We will try again next year.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not this box Jenn, trust me if you smelled the box you would know it was a least a decade old and been stored through 2 renos. You gave us a cooler crystal kit - I promise! I figure we better do this one or the ingredients will expire or perhaps instantaneously combust! We loved the ant farm...the girls use it to house their my little ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lucky man learns from his experiences, a wise man learns from the experience of others. I want my kids to be wise!!

    ReplyDelete