Sep 25, 2008

Interesting Perspective

Last night I met Jordan and Emily's teachers formally at parent-teacher conferences for the first time. I felt spoiled from the past two years, as I believed Emily and Jordan had two of probably the best teachers in the city. As I sat with each of them and discussed 'goal setting', which seems to be the way parent-teacher conferences goes down these days, I was so impressed with how well these two teachers knew my children. Both teachers were enthusiastic, creative, and what seemed so genuinely interested in helping my children become the best students they can become. They were aware of my children's talents and strengths and contributions and could also articulate ways to help them be even better writers and students. They only started school three weeks ago. I was impressed.

A Little Lesson:
I said to Mrs. Brown, Jordan's teacher,"I cannot believe how this little school nestled in the park, has some of the best teachers I've ever met. Her response was thought-provoking. "I believe all that are left are good teachers. It is profoundly hard work, extremely difficult to get a full-time positions here in the lower mainland, compensation is undesirable and we are unsupported by our government. Only those who really love to teach end up staying under these conditions." Wow! I loved her perspective. Clearly she loved to teach. I wonder if the same could be said about what I do for a living...motherhood. The challenges people face with the high cost of living, careers, rampant fertility issues, divorce and other present-day issues that pull woman away from the role of mother, leaving only those who desperately want to raise children left to be mothers. Interestingly enough, I feel that is actually who I see at the PTA events, on the soccer field, at the music academy and on the playground...really good moms doing their best. Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Alex wants to start memorizing everyone's names (from the pictures on your web site)...he wants ages though...please tell us the kids' ages!! We can't wait to see you on route to DL!!! We are looking forward to a million foot motorhome in our driveway!

    ReplyDelete