Sep 28, 2008

Presents


"I can't wait for daddy to come home and bring me back something!" Emily announces at dinner. Jordan and Clara agreed. I thought to myself, I didn't tell them daddy was bringing them something from his business trip to Calgary?! I'm pretty sure Craig didn't say anything either. Craig hasn't traveled for a while for work so I don't know where they got the notion that when daddy's away he's busy buying gifts for his children. I thought, well, I guess we'll just deal with this little situation when it unfolds. A few hours later, Craig walks in the door with four squealing children "Daddy Daddy you're home! " Jordan is past squealing, if he were to read this post he would roll his eyes and say "I did not squeal!" Anyways, as luck would have it Craig had brought them a treat from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and everyone was delighted.



As you can see I didn't get my camera out in time to capture the spoils from Calgary. They really were the size of softballs and incredibly delicious. Way to go daddy!

A Little Lesson:
I remember as a child, also assuming when my dad was away, surely he will come back bringing gifts from other lands. He used to bring pennants from the city's university for me, and little collector dolls for my sister. I also remember if it looked like he had forgotten to bring us something as we stood over his large suitcase, he would fake it and start bringing out the free toiletry packages of socks, blindfolds and miniature toothpastes that he collected from the plane ride. We loved them...they were just as magical. We were fooled every time! I don't know which was better getting a gift or the anticipation of getting a gift. It was all great!

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days too of my travelling Dad. For 1 1/2 years he commuted to LA during the week and came home every Friday. After a while the gifts slowed down as routine set in. But he always had a story for us. Sometimes he would meet a celebrity at LAX airport and tell us about the brush with fame encounter. When we would ask if he got an autograph he would fumble and slip away and come back with an signed napkin or paper. It wasn't until I was in my teens and going through memorabilia that I noticed that Tattoo (midget from fantasy island), Jacklyn Smith (Charlie's Angels), Scott Baio and Kernal Sanders -KFC (he always had stories about the Kernal) all had the same signature.

    ReplyDelete