Sep 21, 2008

Gratefully Exhausted

I was asked to speak at the Tri-stake Young Women's Conference being held in Abbotsford. Yesterday I left the kids with Craig, and headed out to the valley. I spoke on the scripture found in Matthew 5:

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick;
and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works
and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

I used the analogy of how candle's were made in the olden days, dipping the string into the hot wax and letting it cool over and over again, with the process of building self esteem. When we endure with faith difficult moments, days, weeks and years we become stronger and stronger with each trial. When we allow the 'hotter' moments of our lives to help mold and shape us into disciples of Christ we start an ongoing journey of letting the light shine brighter and brighter within us. I also explained how candles do not lie on tables to roll around at whim but sit tall and straight in a candlestick. We also need to plant ourselves firmly where we can be a true disciple, making choices and decisions that allow ourselves to become steadfast and immovable in this worthy quest. The day ended with an extraordinary dinner in a magnificently decorated gymnasium, put on by the Young Women leaders in Abbotsford. It was a very special day.

A Little Lesson:
I gave my presentation four times in a row for forty minutes each time . I was physically, emotionally and spiritually exhausted as I drove home from this beautiful conference on the dark and rainy highway. I was tired, but grateful for the testimony I have of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It gives me all the strength that I need.

3 comments:

  1. I wish there listening! You are a great speaker. Lucky girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too would have loved to have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Shelley! I'm sure you touched those girls. I love your analogy. I hope you don't mind if sometime I might use it, in part. I am in the Stake Young Women's. Lately I have been intrigued by the word light, especially how the Young Women are bombarded with competing lights...the light of the TV, the light of the computer, the light of their ipod. How do we help them focus on the only real source of light, our Savior. It has given me food for thought. Anyways, loved your talk. Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete