Sep 5, 2008

My Muses



My  w i n d  b e n e a t h  m y  w i n g s  husband recently purchased a 'recording studio' for me so that I could put all the songs I compose down on something more permanent.  I try to weave composing time into my sock-finding, bath-filling and bottle-fumigating day.  (bottle fumigating for those of you who live a less gong-show life than I do, is when you find a bottle that has been discarded by the infant child in a place you were not aware of and discover it many, many days later) We actually live on a hill that allows me to see out my window the snow covered mountains, the beautiful cityscape and hundred year-old trees all year round.  But what I most like to use as my muse while composing is the artwork of my children.  I never tire of staring at it.  

    

A Little Lesson:
     All mothers face the same conundrum of what to do with all of the artwork that comes through the house.  Some say, store it in bins. Others will say, take a picture and make a book. And some mothers will mount their children's art in frames for all to see. Whatever you do, DO NOT CASUALLY THROW IT ONTO THE TOP OF THE GARBAGE UNDER THE SINK WHERE AN UNSUSPECTING CHILD DISCOVERS THEIR BELOVED WORK OF ART LAYING BESIDE THE EGGSHELLS AND ORANGE PEELS FROM BREAKFAST.   Believe me when I say, there are not enough words in the english language to explain that one away!


1 comment:

  1. Yay for good husbands who encourage our musical endeavors! If I've never told you out loud, your music has always been such an inspiration to me! It's made me want to be able to improvise on the spot, write my own arrangments and make beautiful music. Thank you, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete