Sep 5, 2008

O Canada

 I didn't mind that our hardworking Canadian athletes only brought home 3 gold medals.  It was tough competition, we only have a small pool of people to choose from (34 million) and it's cold up here in Canada, we are lucky to even be invited to the summer Olympics.  But I'll tell you what I was most sad about...the world only got to hear our anthem three times.  I think it is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  I like to weave it into every song I play on the piano.  Especially prelude music for church.  I gently bring in it's beautiful melodic phrases as my fingers swirl in and out of hymns.  It even has the phrase God keep our land glorious and free....I love that!


Today Jordan will be accompanying his school when they sing the anthem in their assembly.  It was one of his summer projects to learn it.  

A Little Lesson:
     Imagine the pressure to compose a piece of music that will stand the test of time.  The words have to have meaning generation after generation and even centuries later.  Thank you Lavallee for the music and Weir for the English lyrics and Happy 100th Birthday as it was first performed in English in 1908.  

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jordan that's so awesome! I can't believe how good you've gotten at the piano. I am sure you sounded lovely at the assemby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan you sound great. I still don't understand how you do it without music. Good job.

    ReplyDelete