Sep 24, 2008

Oh Dad!

I am getting updates from my dad's south pacific sailing adventure each day from the captain's blog. It turns out he was making french toast for the crew yesterday when a large wave hit the side of the boat throwing my dad...I'll let him explain:

Yesterday with my first shot as chef when I got so excited at my tasty French toast that I failed to hold on when a big wave hit and I went flying backwards - fell on my back and hip banged my head on the cupboard, but most painful I cut my hand with the spoon I was using for the batter. Doctor Cress took over and with aplomb sewed me up using a staple gun. [Matt took a pass on this interesting procedure as he has already decided to also take a pass on being a doctor]. Today we took the staple out as it seems to have done its work. Too bad doctor and Captain Cress are taking care of my medical needs pro bono as so far I just wasted money buying medical insurance - mind you the trip is not over.

Those of you who know my dad would not think this is not too out of the ordinary. A staple gun? Thousands of miles from anything? Having it taken out the next day and delighted with its success? That sounds just like my dad. Roll with the punches Jim! Other than this little blip in the adventure they are having what sounds like the time of their lives!

A Little Lesson:
I have spent a lifetime watching my dad persevere through anything and everything that has come his way. He is the most optimistic, glass-half-full, look on the bright-side, tomorrow's another day kind of guy I think I've ever met. I am grateful for his ongoing example of this.

5 comments:

  1. shelly is his blog public?? I have thought of him everyday and wondered how you would stay in touch?? how long is he expected to be away??? how do they get computer access out there - is it some satellite thing???

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to hear from your Dad; he's on the waters of the South Pacific now what a scream of a time! He is quite the trooper and I expect from Jim that we'll have many more adventurous stories to tell... so glad that he's recording a journal of his activities; but a 'stapel gun'? almost babaric don't ya think! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, the captain of the ship runs the following blog:
    www.coachingworksintl.com/Blog.htm
    it should take them about 4 weeks to get from Hawaii to Fiji and I think they use a satellite to post blogs. I'm not totally sure. What a hoot eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us updated about your Dad! What an adventure! I agree with TL~~a staple gun?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I picture Uncle Jim in my mind, he is smiling.
    Sounds like a very fun adventure.

    ReplyDelete