Aug 19, 2008

Sweet Service






I came home from camping with the 8 boxes of peaches in my garage that my wonderful buddy Tami Lyn brought me from the Okanagan last week when she was driving back to the coast.  As I stood in my kitchen with Emily at my side canning away, all I could think of was my dear Tami Lyn.  Not because of her generosity, pulling the car over to pick me up some peaches...on her birthday I might add  No, that was just the tip of the iceberg.  Last year when I discovered I was pregnant I thought of two things.  Wow I am going to have another baby, and oh oh this baby is coming the week free stone peaches are on!  I usually can 70-80 jars, and have done so for many years now. Knowing this, Tami Lyn quietly came over to my house the week before peach season, (I was 9 months pregnant) picked up several bins of jars, quietly drove to her hometown of Nelson for a week, canned my 70-80 jars of peaches and quietly brought them back to me all done, even with little material tops tied on with raffia.   I stand in my kitchen today with sticky counters, peach juice on the floor, jars in the dishwasher, jars on the counter, jars in the sink, boxes of peaches in the dinning room, canning paraphanalia everywhere, my windows steamy from all the boiling water, my eyes welled up as I thought... she did this for me! 
Most people when they hear you are going to have a baby, think, I will buy her a cute sleeper or perhaps bring her a meal when she comes out of the hospital, all wonderful gestures for sure. Tami Lyn thinks, what does my friend really want...that is what I will do.

A Little Lesson:
     If my chances of making it to heaven are based on the examples of the people I call friends, I will surely have a fighting chance. 

3 comments:

  1. If you decide you have too many canned peaches, you're always welcome to send some my way! I'll take good care of them for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! What a sweetheart Tami Lyn! I can just smell the peaches from here! Looks like I could be canning a few of those myself now that they will be in abundance where I will be living!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete