Aug 20, 2008

The Phone Call

This morning I woke up with a kitchen full of peaches waiting to be finished, shortly there after my older children asking for their chore assignments (Jordan & Emily are actively earning their final summer "reward"...I'll explain another time!) there was putting away the final three loads of 'camp' laundry, keeping Benjamin off the stairs - WE NEED GATES, teaching Jordan O Canada on the piano, which he was asked by the principal to play for his school assemblies for this upcoming year (which starts in 14 days by the way), and helping Emily resurrect her violin pieces from last year. It seemed doable when I started the day, but as the day progressed I realized I hadn't really recovered from camping and I was tired. I also realized I had been with my children 24/7 for what seemed like weeks without a break from these sweet people called my offspring. We were having fun of course...but even a break for just a few minutes! The day went progressively downhill. It started with a full jar of peaches cracking open in the boiler. This creates a really big mess that has to be tended to immediately. The kids took turns being annoyed with each other in various combinations: Emily with Clara, Clara with Jordan, Jordan with Clara and Emily... I don't remember hearing the violin at all and on and on and on it went, by five o'clock...I made the phone call. It went something like this...

"Craig...?"
"Yes..."
"When you come home tonight will you take all of our children out for a long drive far away."
"Where?"
"Seattle"
"How about I take them to A&W on the outskirts of town get them a root beer, head over to Rogers and get them a video which I will watch with them down the basement?"
"I love you..."
"I know"

A Little Lesson:
The entertainment world, in the common sitcom or movie, likes to portray men as insensitive and clueless to the needs and wants of women. It portrays the female as a complex creature, demanding, complicated and impossible to please. This is fantasy. My husband, a.k.a. love of my life, completely 'gets' me. He is acutely aware of what I need and more importantly when I need it. He doesn't always get it right, but he tries. In this kind and simple gesture I am renewed and ready to take on my world again. Thank you my love.

2 comments:

  1. Two words...Ear plugs.....So that when they DO come home, you don't know it, and it extends your "me". When you know they are home, your body goes into stress mode again...really...I am sure I read that somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Craig! You have earned a few 'brownie' points with that one!!

    ReplyDelete