Aug 25, 2008

Sepia Moment

When I first got my camera I wanted to take all my pictures in the 'sepia' setting.  It felt more artistic and hip when I did that.  Not black and white.  Not colour.  It just seemed to capture the moment I was experiencing...relaxed, enjoyable, old fashioned, like the days when people would sit on porch swings and drink lemonade.  This past Sunday afternoon, Emily and I laid on the couch together and watched the Book of Mormon video The Iron Rod.  
Emily asks, "Mom"
I responded, "Yes"
"If you weren't a member of the church...do you still think you would hold on to the rod?" (holding on to the rod in our church represents keeping the commandments)  
I think for a second, "yes Em, I think I would."  
A few minutes go by...she says, "me too." 
It was a sepia moment.

A Little Lesson:
   There is a certain way our children say "Mom".  It's drawn out.  It descends and then goes up in intonation.  It is reflective and curious.  I try to watch out for these.  I know waiting on the other side is a window into our children's intricate thinkings.  


2 comments:

  1. I always love those 'Mom' moments! It's like you can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be shallow on such a great moment but it must be said... Emily you have the hair of a super model and the beauty of your mother. CK

    ReplyDelete