Dec 31, 2008

Digitized

I feel there is this whole other life that used to be mine that lives in boxes downstairs in my craft room. It is the life I used to live before there were digital cameras. It is the life of my childhood, my wedding, our first apartment, Jordan's baby years, Emily's baby years and so on and so on. In the blogging world it is kind of like it never existed because there are only photographs and negatives to prove it happened instead of mpegs and jpegs and all those other pegs that computers like to play with. Until now. Craig decided to use our special certificate from the TELUS gala night to purchase us a special machine that magically takes photos and negatives from the olden days and digitizes them, finally bringing my two worlds together.

Here is the first thing Craig scanned, a picture of him on his mission in the Bahamas playing with the Haitian children.

A Little Lesson:
Whenever Benjamin gets a chance he toddles off to the computer room, climbs the chair and starts clicking the mouse with his pointer finger in perfect form. Clara is a savy and profficient computer user at age four, Emily masters things on Word that took me years and Jordan is the guy I ask when I don't know what to do next. It is hard to comprehend when I was Jordan's age computers in the home simply did not exist! Even in high school they were just starting to make their way into the average household...barely. Internet was something that just started when I went to university. You would search for something and there would be like eight or nine choices to go to. I remember my dad used to say that about the telephone and television and it made me think he was ancient. I had better not let my children overhear my ponderings.

3 comments:

  1. So true! Over Christmas, my father-in-law asked me when we had our first computer in my family. I realized that we got it when I was in grade 11! I remember still being allowed to handwrite papers in university as some people still didn't have computers. And of course I also remember the dot matrix printers--good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time I saw this picture...it made me smile...and it made me smile again...thank you...

    ReplyDelete