Dec 17, 2008

Memorable Service


Wouldn't you know I forgot my camera! Last night I took Emily with several of her 'achievement day' friends to one of the senior's homes in the city to sing Christmas carols to the folks that lived there. For some of the numbers Emily and some of her friends played their violins and cellos. It was at that point that I thought of asking some of the seniors if they had a spare digital camera they could lend me! Oh I hate it when I forget it for something like this!

A Little Lesson:
My dear Uncle Tom who lives in Cardston Alberta, for the past several decades has devoted every Sunday in the late afternoon to the dedicated service of singing to the seniors in the local senior's home. I have marveled for years at his faithful commitment. You might be thinking my uncle is probably retired and has nothing else to do. He is a full time lawyer, stake president, devoted father of five children and even more devoted grandfather of twelve grandchildren, takes care of the many household needs of my dear grandma who lives three houses away, has kept a daily/weekly extended family newsletter going since I was just out of high school, and knows how to crochet a mean looking afghan! I could go on and on about the great things my uncle does, but the quiet service of going to a seniors home and bringing smiles to a group of people who live with pain, loneliness and fear is what I most admire about him. Last night, as I saw the people smile, cry and sing along as these beautiful young girls sang about the birth of the Savior, I got a small taste of why my uncle does what he does. It was a meaningful and memorable evening of service.

No comments:

Post a Comment