Dec 20, 2008

It's Cold!


Our city is having unheard of low temperatures these days and boy can we feel it! We have those beautiful hundred year old leaded-glass windows that force you to keep the heat going at full tilt every minute of the day or else you have to walk around the house looking like this! If truth be told Clara is actually my cold-blooded off spring who would happily play outside in a t-shirt, if I let her. This was just her way of showing me how funny she can be.

A Little Lesson:
When it gets this cold I think of the Robert Frost poem I learned in grade eight:

Fire and Ice

Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold of those who favor fire
But if I had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
That for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I realize the poem has nothing to do with snowflakes and cinders but rather 'hot' desire and 'cold' hate. I've always agreed with Frost that I think it would be more bearable to watch a world end in the mistakes of greed and materialism than the cold, stone-like result of humans filled with hate. Ironically, as we sit in our homes on the coldest day of the year and endure record breaking weather patterns, we are also in the thick of an economic disaster most likely caused by Frost's prediction...desire. Desire for more. More than we have now, more than we can afford later, more, more, more! If in fact the end is near, it looks like it is getting awfully hot around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment