Dec 28, 2008

Nothing Out of the Ordinary

When Jordan was three years old and Emily was just a baby I took the crafting plunge and made some home made stockings for each member of our family that told the story of the birth of the Savior. I assumed I would have another child and made an extra one. When Benjamin came along I knew I had a few years until he would notice that there was nothing hanging there for him. I look at the stockings now and think how ambitious I used to be when it came to quilting and sewing - the task of sewing another one felt like a quick trip up Kilimanjaro. After hearing my wining about trying to finish the stocking my mom responds..."I'll do it for you!" There was no thinking, wondering, pondering, or deciding of any kind. I handed her some of the others for samples, a bag of fabric and off she went. Four hours later...
Benjamin's Christmas stocking all done.
(Except the story part, which will probably take me three years to finish)


she was done.

A Little Lesson:
My sisters and I grew up with a mom that could pull off incredible feats in mere hours. She could sew, bake, assemble, quilt, create something from nothing all in the blink of an eye. Not only was she fast, she was good. It always looked shiny and sparkly and amazing all wrapped up together. Her speedy talent has become common place in our family. Of course she finished in four hours! It was nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I wonder what took her so long?

No comments:

Post a Comment