Mar 4, 2009

Ouch!


My sweet Jordan grew again, he is now a strapping five feet four inches. That is all nice and dandy but so did his feet. This means a new pair of soccer cleats, a new pair of church shoes, a new pair of running shoes and a new pair of kick around the house and school shoes. Ouch! He grows and my wallet shrinks. Good thing you are such a nice boy my dear or we'd have to give you away. I once heard it takes 100, 000 dollars to raise a child from zero to eighteen. The last time I counted we had four children, I think I'd better start returning our pop bottles.

A Little Lesson:
I remember when I was a little girl, and my mom went to this special place just before school started to pick up our school supplies. That's how they did it back then. We would get a little clear plastic bag with pencils, rulers, notebooks etc. all depending on what grade we were in. I remember asking her how much each bag cost. I remember her saying it cost ten dollars for both Shauna and I. I remember at that exact moment, I thought to myself, I will probably only be able to afford to have one child. Ten dollars was A LOT of money after all back then. It didn't even occur to me that we had to buy our children shoes, piano lessons and braces. But I knew one day I would be buying school supplies for my kids and I had better only have one if I was going to get by. It's funny how a moment in our life is secured firmly into the foundations of our memories, never to disappear. I could even tell you where I was sitting in the car when I asked the question and what colour pants I was wearing that day.

2 comments:

  1. Shelley you have such a wonderful way of writing your thoughts down you either have me crying or laughing hysterically....today was a little of both...realizing how very fast Jordan is growing into a young man....is one of those happy sad times but you just make it so special with your words...

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. and to think if I had not had any children I could be a half a millionaire now.....lol

    ReplyDelete