Mar 18, 2009

Detour



I spent most of Monday lounging around with the kids starting to feel a little strain in my throat. By evening I had nasty pain screaming from the back of my tongue down to the bottom of my neck. In the middle of the night my throat felt so swollen it had become difficult to breath and Craig took me in to emergency. A few years ago I had epiglottis, which is the swelling of the flap of skin at the back of your throat. It felt like it was back. After an X-ray showed my epiglottis to be enlarged I was put on IV antibiotics and and ENT came to do a scope to make sure I was heading in the right direction. Epiglottitus can actually be fatal because it closes off your throat and you end up suffocating! Just a little drama to add to my day. I am on some heavy-duty antibiotics and I should improve quickly. I wasn't planning on this little detour, but here we are. Once I was let out of the hospital to recover at home Emily and Clara stepped up immediately to be little nursemaids from heaven. They bring me little cups of water with straws and fuss over my blankets being just right and rub my feet and ask me every few minutes..."mom do you need anything?". Bless my little girls!

A Little Lesson:
My throat hurts too much to really appreciate any lessons at this point. I have to sit upright when I take these strong antibiotics which is why I am on the computer instead of laying on the couch. I am grateful for modern medicine, and Craig who has flexibility at work, and my mom who came and took Benjamin, and the invention of the straw, and Tylenol 3's that take the pain away. Finding gratitude, if nothing else, is always a lesson I can count on being there each day.

5 comments:

  1. Its been a joy having our little boy come and stay the night. He follows everything I do, (which SHOWS you you need to be careful what they seE) even cleaning the toilet with the brush exactly how I would do it. A special bonding time for Benjamin and his Grandma....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better, that stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you ended up in emerg the night after the reunion. Nobody saw that coming! Breath well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH! I am glad for your many angels there taking care of you! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete