Mar 9, 2009

Just a Lesson

A Little Lesson:
What does going to church, praying, reading the scriptures and serving others really offer us as people going along in our daily lives? It is the ability to have that deep tar tread that lives just outside the white line on a highway road. You're driving along not really paying attention and you hit that tar tread and your wheels make lots of noise and you realize quickly you are off track and need to steer back straight again. Without it, you hit a side rail, spin out of control and have to call a tow truck, or worse... When we stop the daily grind and pray or read scriptures or listen to a prepared talk, we can hear really hear whether or not our tires are riding on that loud tar tread and we are steering in the wrong direction. It allows us to make a correction quickly before we end up in a ditch we had no intentions of being in. The spirit is in fact a very still and very small voice. I am deeply grateful for gentle corrections that help me avoid tragic collisions. At first the correction may even seem annoying and bothersome, like the noise the tires makes when we hit the tread, but when followed, the feeling of being back on track is one of comfort and gratitude. Like any planned road trip, I am anxiously trying to get to my destination and I am feeling deeply grateful for a long strip of tar tread that follows beside of me as I putter along.

1 comment:

  1. I too am greatful that those gentle corrections keep coming. Otherwise I would be so far off track!

    ReplyDelete