Mar 27, 2009

Getting Better

Feeling swamped always reminds me of the "Good Better Best" talk that was given a few conferences ago that helped change the minds and attitudes of millions of members. We have spent so many years learning to "choose the right when a choice is placed before you." Choosing between right and wrong is not always easy but the decision of which one is right is usually pretty clear. Don't yell at your kids, don't tell a lie, don't shop on Sunday, don't spread gossip, don't take drugs are all pretty standard answers to situations people face everyday. Much harder is looking at your to do list...
The Stake Talent Show
Helping Jordan paper mache his social's project
Tackle the toys in the basement
Plant my seedlings for my garden
Organizing Sing Peace Around the World
Stay deeply connected to my almost teenage son (not always easy)
Getting Benjamin some new shoes
Journal/Blogg
Help a friend write an opera score for her school
Help Emily find her overdue library book
Help Clara read and count
Get Benjamin to eat more vegetables
My health (symptoms still lingering)
Find time to visit and catch up with my husband every night
Help Emily with everything because she sprained her arm (haven't blogged that one yet)
Visiting teaching
Laundry, vacuuming, scrubbing and decluttering

and making sure that the most important things are getting accomplished. I know my list looks as heavy and as big as most of my friends with kids. It's not the size of the list but we decide to do from minute to minute that makes the difference. After looking at my list I think I'll just lay on the couch and put a movie on for my kids!


A Little Lesson:
Recently we decided to do the "Never Miss" scripture study program that has meant we wake everyone up 45 minutes earlier than usual so that we never miss a single morning. In the past if dad had an early meeting or there was an event at school, or a project deadline was needing to be met we would let morning scriptures be fit in somewhere else that day. Which usually meant it didn't happen. This new method has been working out great but the early morning time I am usually getting my life on track for the day has been squashed by 45 minutes. This may sound small but it feels monumental for some reason. I know in the long run it is a better/best decision. I am willing to fall behind in almost anything if it means getting my family to study the scriptures together.
There are lots of scriptures that help us maneuver through right and wrong on this earth, much less are the scriptures that help us navigate good, better, best. Which leaves us with the daily task of leaning heavily on prayer and begging the Lord for guidance and clarity.



6 comments:

  1. It's funny reading this and knowing that you will accomplish everything on your list and do it amazingly well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is one heck of a to do list, Shelley! that good, better, best talk has been so great. when i had an opportunity to teach that lesson in relief society, i heard incredible stories of women changing their lives. not because of me though of course!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wonderful to spend 45 minutes doing scripture study. We do 15 minutes, and that seems like a long time with little ones. I know that you will be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete