Mar 19, 2009

Gratefully Warned!



At the chick reunion, while traveling through the quaint town of Langley, a few minutes away from our rented house on Whidbey Island, I was pulled over by an officer who announces I was driving 35 miles per hour in a 25 mile an hour zone. I sat there with beads of sweat running down my forehead, pleeeeeeease, I thought, don't let him give me a ticket. Turns out he had never stopped a Canadian before. I showed him my licence and registration and he seemed confused by the funny looking documents. He went back to his car and we waited and waited and waited. Enough time for me to even snap a little picture for the blog. When he finally returned to the car, I explained how we were from Canada and we were trying to find a place to eat before everything closed and how sorry we were for driving so fast in their beautiful little town, we just didn't know what to do. (Side note, if I were driving 25 miles an hour, Colleen my passenger, could of run faster along side the car in her flip flops!) I almost explained when you are from a country of Eskimos and igloos it's difficult to adapt to the American way, but I know us Canadians are working hard to abandon that stereotype, so I left that one off of my monologue. The happy ending to my tale...no ticket, just a warning.

A Little Lesson:
I am now three for three. In the past fifteen years I have received three nasty expensive speeding tickets and talked myself out of three nasty expensive speeding tickets. I am all about the warnings. They leave you feeling grateful you dodged the big punishment and humbly committed about changing your ways and doing better. Like I said, I love a good warning. I like to think I would of been one of those people that joined Noah on the arc before the flood came, or left Jerusalem when Lehi warned the people to repent. I think that is essentially what we do as latter-day saints when we gather twice a year to hear from the leaders of the church. We listen to the quiet and gentle warnings that are woven carefully through each sermon to help us avoid impending danger or disaster. For the record, I spent the rest of the weekend driving slow...very slow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shelley! Funny story, I can just picture you sweet talking your way out of that one. So fun to see photos of your four beautiful children!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay Shelley - I am laughing about this message really reaching home!?! You have been given 3 tickets in the past 10 years? You have been pulled over 6 times in the past 10 years? We will have to chop your little toes off and make you foot lighter!!!!!

    ReplyDelete