Apr 17, 2009

Commissioned


A number of weeks ago, I was unofficially commissioned by the Vancouver Opera, through my buddy Linda Baird, to write the music for a children's opera being performed next week at an elementary school in Burnaby. I attended the tech rehearsal yesterday with Clara and Benjamin and tried not let the cast of children see my eyes welling up and spilling over! It find it so emotional to finally hear the music I wrote weeks ago, in the early hours of the morning, all alone in my studio, come to life on a stage with 150 kids singing with all their might the songs and melodies I created for them. I can't wait to see it with costumes, lights, sound and props next week!

A Little Lesson:
I almost said no when I got the desperate phone call from Linda to do this project. I had a lot on my plate, however, when I sat down to brainstorm and write the songs, they all arrived at my fingertips at the piano within just a few hours, so I phoned her and said yes. I am so glad I did. I don't know the magical formula of when we should say yes and when we need to say no to things. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I don't. I do believe that staying close to the spirit can help us wade through the thousands of tasks we would, should or could be doing. That, I am sure about.

2 comments:

  1. We would love to see them perform your music also - give us the details. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Shell! You are one amazing woman!! love ya

    ReplyDelete