Jan 31, 2009

Peace

When I think of peace I think of a day where my children are kind to each other and there is no fighting. I think of a dove flying through the air, flowers growing in a field, and children from every nationality holding hands singing beautiful songs about love and harmony.
For too many places in the world peace means the absence of killing, destruction and war, a day that doesn't threaten their lives and a place to live where they are free to choose basic human liberties. The International Montessori Conference I will be speaking at in New Orleans next month is celebrating peace and social justice. I am hibernating early each morning in my recording studio to write an album of children's songs dedicated to the concept of peace.



A Little Lesson:
I decided to look through some of the pictures that are being taken everyday around the world of war-torn countries. It makes it feel very real and very desperate. I am not sure if bringing peaceful people together to discuss peace will make a dent in this beast of a problem, but surely we must do something.

2 comments:

  1. As a young person (14 or 15) when I found out about the Holocast and the terrible things that took place I was so horrified. I said to my mom why didn't anyone do anything to help. She tried to explain the politics of the times but I just didn't get it. I thought if people in another country were in trouble Canadians or Americans could just jump on a plane and save the jewish people or whoever. Now as an adult who can watch wars and destruction 24 hours thank to CNN I feel paralized and sometime indifferent because I what can I do.
    But if I really think about it there are things I can do and education is one of them. Thanks for including my in this conference Shelley (& Craig)I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A timely and timeless topic. I hope your creative juices give some peace loving music. When I think of music and peace I think of John Lennon and his song "Give Peace a Chance." He wrote the song in 1969, a most memorable year for me - birth of our first child, living in NYC and participating in ticker parade for Neil Armstrong - failing to participate in the Woodstock Festival, graduating from Harvard Law School, watching the explosive riots and Boston police excessive bashing of the VietNam war protests at Harvard and the Harvard strike as a result. Many years later the Dean of Harvard Law visited us in Victoria and said our class of 69 had "the most "indelible experiences of any." Here are the opening lyrics of:
    "Give Peace a Chance
    - John Lennon

    Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout
    Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
    This-ism, that-ism, ism ism ism
    All we are saying is give peace a chance
    All we are saying is give peace a chance

    (C'mon)
    Ev'rybody's talkin' 'bout
    Minister, Sinister, Banisters and Canisters,
    Bishops, Fishops, Rabbis, and Pop Eyes, Bye bye, Bye byes
    All we are saying is give peace a chance
    All we are saying is give peace a chance"

    Over to your genius Shell.

    ReplyDelete