Oct 25, 2009

Club Murley


According to Emily's school coach there were over 200 girls
registered for the 4th grade race. . .
from across the city of Vancouver, all running at once.
Look at the nerves on these little sweet faces.
Emily was taking it all in.
Her life is carefree, casual and creative.
This is competitive.

I find it completely impossible to cheer and scream while taking a decent shot.
You are seeing little Emily run towards the finish line to take fourth place.

A Little Lesson:
As I stood at the finish line waiting for the massive pack of girls
to emerge from around the Trout Lake bend, I overheard a few "in the running loop"
mothers talking about coaches, problems finding a good club and running gear.
The first four girls emerge around the corner.
GO EMILY!!!
As Emily ran by me, the two women standing next to me at the finish line,
while I was screaming her name, say to me,
"Is that your daughter??? What club does she run with?"
That would be Club Murley where:
instead of lifting weights she gives 30lb Benjamin a piggyback for hours a day
instead of doing an early morning jog she and her sister chase each other around the house loop
instead wearing elite gear she chooses last years running shoes,why, no laces, easy Velcro
instead of proper running clothes an Edith Cavell jersey meant for a large skinny 7th grader.

You don't have to be fancy to be fantastic!!!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Emily!!! I am so happy for you. I was so glad I was able to be there for your awesome achievement. Love ya!!!! Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats EMILY.... There may have been a lot of parents there but I was the loudest and happiest grandma of them all to see you st the start and the finish. We love you Grandma M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our grandchildren like Emily are such wonderful little people with emerging talents. We know Jordan is a skilled soccor player as our his cousins in Wenatchee. Now we know Emily is fleet of foot. After the race I overhear an excited little girl tell her mom "Mom I came in 48th" The mom quickly replied, "AWESOME" - well if 48th is awesome how awesome is 4th and hair from 3rd? Soon we will find out the talents of Clara and Benjamin. I think Clara will be a singer like her aunt Jenny. I know Benjamin has some athletic prowess as today while we were in time out togehter in the primary room he was doing the most amazing chin ups off of the podium.

    ReplyDelete