Feb 5, 2009

Jail


These days when my kids are in jail, (time-out on the stairs) life's not so bad when you have a two foot visitor who squeals with glee every time he comes around the corner to see you. He doesn't know how to tell time so he thinks visiting hours are whenever he likes. He knows there's something special when a sibling sits on those hard wooden stairs. They don't go play with their friends. They don't go do big people things. They just sit there and give him tons of attention. Bring on the the time-outs says Benjamin James! He can't figure out why they don't get up...but they just don't get up. Sometimes he'll even run illegal errands for the fugitives like getting something from the kitchen or their rooms. Such a young age to start a life of crime.

A Little Lesson:
When I was a little girl my grandma used to tell me when her kids (my dad) were naughty while driving in the car she used to say "if you kids don't stop it we'll drop you off and leave you with the Indians!!!" I remember thinking how terrible it would be to actually be left on the side of the road on the Indian reserves! I have a feeling my kids, the "time-out" generation, are not going to be spending too much time telling their kids how scary their punishments were. Such a soft society we've come to live in.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is time to send them to Ireland for the summer. When disciplining the Irish don't mince their words.
    "Pick up that toy or I will put you through that wall."
    Yes, yes it is abusive but laced with an Irish accent it almost sounds inviting. When my sibling and I were young it was the belt for discipline. My Dad could completely remove his belt from his pants with one hand, which put the fear in us of St.Patrick himself as he chased the snakes out of Ireland. This one handed belt removal move was later used in movies by Indiana Jone and Jackie Chan. When I speak of my dad and his discipline philosophy to his grandchildren using my best Irish accent I say.."Aye Jack he was a fierce one always ready for a battle."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are great! Thanks for making me smile! But I must admit, I don't miss that part of children growing up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fUNNY! What a great posting. I remember hearing my mom talk about being dropped of with the Indians. Can we actually say that now? So cute!

    ReplyDelete