Feb 18, 2009

Get the Bucket!

I've got three little turkeys with a bug inside their tummies screamin to get out. It started with Benjamin at 3:30am, Clara joined him at 7:30am and finally Emily at exactly 4:25pm. It starts with "my tummy really hurts..." and then you've got about 2 1/2 minutes to get a bowl or you better get out the disinfectant and the paper towel. I'm scoring at about 50% right now and not feeling so good about how many rolls of paper towels I've gone through. At one point of my day, trying to remember whose bowl was who, frantically washing my hands between clean ups (I CAN'T GET SICK!) and convincing even the tiniest of persons that they will feel better soon became almost comical. It was a symphony of that shaky "mom" call from the four corners of our house just before stomach launch. Finally I told everyone involved they were not to move or walk anywhere without their bucket in their hands. Benjamin looked at me with his "good luck with that one mom" eyes. For the time being, Jordan and Craig have managed to dodge this bullet that seems to be spreading across Vancouver at wild fire speeds. I was ready to seek some sympathy from my buddy Nikki when I saw her name on my caller display, when she promptly announced she had three home with the same condition! Yikes, I hope this is one of the 24 hour gigs!

A Little Lesson:
The gears shift when you have little guys down for the count, it's not easier nor harder...just different. There are less toys to pick up, as everyone is in the horizontal position on the couch. There is less food to prepare because no one is hungry. There are less dishes to wash because no one is eating. To make up for this reprieve in a mothers typical day, there is about triple the amount of toxic laundry needing immediate attention, and quadruple amount of cuddles and hugs needed, so it all works out to just another day of getting about 4 out of 10 things done on my to do list.

6 comments:

  1. don a mask Shelley - YOU CAN'T get sick!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it seems to be EVERYWHERE. I am hoping our weekend trip up there didn't manage to bring it back with us. Good luck and hope it clears up quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't say I miss those days. I agree with Mooy~~don a mask! and load up on garlic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did someone say a mask, no thanks. Not even your publicist could help you with this one a second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I just finished with Preston getting sick. He threw up on me twice and soaked my bed with the first one. It is such a joy being a mom. My husband picked up a "grow light" from Lowes hardware store. That is about all I know about growing plants. Maybe you should ask some locals how they grow the illegal plants so well. I am sure they would love to indulge you with their secret, and when you find out pass it on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Shelley!
    We were HIT and I mean HIT by that army of bugs the Monday night after we were all together!!!!
    It'was Wolsey's!!!(Just kidding Christine!)
    Let's just say I am so glad that we have three bathrooms in this house and only three people. It was non stop for all of us for about eight hours or more. (I was the "more".)It was coming from both the front and back door. If you know what I mean!!!
    I didn't get out of the house until Thursday and when I did I was barely able to drive or walk from being so weak. Please say you didn't get it?
    Can't wait to hear all about your conquest of the conference.

    ReplyDelete