Jul 27, 2008

Road Signs

As we headed out on to the highway to start our vacation I was taken aback by that magnificent stretch of road in the mountains next to the Fraser river.  I know people come from all over the world to see the beauty that British Columbia seems to be overflowing with, but sometimes as a local I just forget how grand it really is.   I was paying particular attention to the road signs.  There are so many of them, speed signs, curve up ahead signs, only 80 km until the next A&W signs, slippery when wet signs, chain up here signs and one of my favourites...if it's wet turn off your cruise control signs. I thought wow, thanks for really thinking of every mistake I could possibly make while I'm out here on the open road.  As we traveled along I couldn't help reminiscing about the last time I was on this beautiful highway when I was rushing up to see my dear Colleen before her important court date.  I left at 4am to try to be there before 8am.  Did I mention I was rushing?  As it turns out I was also rushing home the next morning to be there for my oldest to help him with a big science project before he had to go to school.  I ended up getting two speeding tickets, one on the way up and one on the way home.  In my defense, I wasn't really speeding but rather the officer was waiting at the bottom of an enormous hill, both times.  Where was the sign that should of said 'this is a big hill, there's probably a cop waiting at the bottom', it was no where to be found.  

It turned out to be an expensive mistake.  Speeding tickets these days go for around $300 each and here in BC we also have to pay a couple of hundred dollars of point deduction off our license.   My dear husband's take on the whole story:  "You should of flown first-class there and back as it would of cost us a lot less money!"  Looking back, he really was a good sport about the whole thing.   As we drove along, I pointed out the two hills I got caught on.  They were in fact big hills.  Clearly marked with signs posting the speed.  But big hills nonetheless.  

A Little Lesson:
     If I look carefully, most of the mistakes I manage to make there was always a little sign warning me earlier on in the journey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment