Jul 25, 2008

An Extra Day

If someone where to announce "Today the Savior will come to the earth!", I would be the one putting my hand up and asking if I could just have one more day. When we have guests over for dinner and they are about to arrive I am thinking to myself, I just need one more hour, and then the meal, the house, the kids, my shower etc. would be ready. Before every test in high school I would be walking in the room thinking if I just had ten more minutes to study then I would really be ready! Yesterday was a day filled with packing, cleaning, packing and more cleaning. We were leaving early the next morning. I did however have many what I like to call Mary and Martha moments. There is a story in the bible about two sisters who learn about putting what's really important first. When the Lord comes to visit, Martha is busy zipping around the house cleaning and preparing food while Mary stops everything and sits at the feet of Jesus. Mary is praised by the Savior for choosing the good choice. I feel like I spend most of my time as Martha, zipping around. Yesterday, however I felt like I was faced with many "Mary" choices that I decided to choose: helping a distraught friend move, make popsicles with my little Clara and fixing her bike, helping a friend with a project, going to see a house my mom wants to buy. But as I was doing these helpful things for others my head was spinning with I am running out of time! I still have to pack! I still have to clean!

Worried that I had not spent enough time actually getting ready, the phone rang at 9:30pm last night from my mom announcing, we've made a mistake, the family reunion doesn't start tomorrow it starts on Saturday! (for the record, years past it always started on the Friday) You mean I have an extra day? Could this really be true? I have twenty-four extra hours that I wasn't planning on? Are those angels I am hearing singing from heaven? What a glorious moment it was to still have just a little more time...I am so glad I didn't say no to the opportunities to help when others asked.

A Little Lesson:
Time is the great equalizer. It doesn't matter if we are black or white, tall or short, play the piano or can do long division in our head. Everyone on this earth gets exactly the same 24 hours in a day. No one gets an extra few minutes here or an extra few hours there. What we do with that time will be what ultimately defines who we are today and who we will become tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. Love this post. Thanks for the perspective. I hope I can do the 'Mary' things today so that I don't regret not doing them tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Shell don't stop blogging.
    Why?
    1. I look forward to it each day.
    2. I love laughing/crying from them.
    3. As my big sister, you are now teaching me with each and every blog, instead of once in awhile when I see you...(that is reason enough right there)
    4. I get to hear how my sis and family are doing on my schedual instead of trying to catch you on the phone, which we all know is impossible.
    5. You need to journal all what is in that head somehow.
    6. And finally...stop being paranoid about it.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Shanan and Jenn!! Don't stop blogging!
    love de

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today Hunter gave me an insight into the weird world of Pokeman, but of more interest he explained the background of the most powerful card he has. He told me his friends had offered all of their cards just to trade for this one card. I asked why the card is so great. He explained that the [ Dialga - Pokeman name] can change time - either move forward or back. So a true "time manager" is seen as one of the greatest powers [at least in the Pokeman world].

    Love Grandpa

    ReplyDelete