Nov 25, 2012

Hide and Seek

 

Most of my kids are perfectly happy to be healthy.  As long as they don't have to see it or taste it, they don't mind that I put all sorts of 'extras' into their meals and snacks to help give them more nutrients, minerals, vitamins, omega-3's, and so on. It's like an ongoing game of hide and seek.  I hide the nutritious nuggets of goodness and if I do a good job they don't do a whole lot of seeking.  Clara is my biggest seeker . . . she will say "did you make this healthy?"    Fruit smoothies and pancakes are probably the easiest place to play the game.

A few nights ago I had a YW presidency meeting.  I ran out of time. So dinner was pancakes and blackberry shakes.  So it was a plethora of hiding and thank goodness very little seeking.

nuggets of nutrition

flax 
spirulina
chlorella
goji berries
coconut oil
spinach/kale
colloidal silver
vitamin D drops
wheat bran / wheat germ

A Little Lesson
The secret is to consistently add microscopic amounts. Most of these nuggets of nutrition do not have the greatest flavour, so a drop, a few grains, a dash, and a sprinkle of these items day after day gently hidden in what I prepare never leaves the kids wishing they didn't have to drink a blackberry milk shake or chocolate chip pancakes.  Keepin' it delicious is an essential part of the game.  Trust me, I've had plenty of whoops, added too much "goodness" disasters under my belt to know.